Friday, September 13, 2024

Cancel Culture Strikes Again!

I believe I wrote this in 2021.....not sure why it was still languishing as a draft.....

 First it was the Civil War monuments.  Then History in general.  Last year, they criticized Baby It's Cold Outside....fine.  Yeah, it's a little creepy by today's standards.

But now they're going after some of my favorite movies, not taking the fact they were made in the 40s and 50s.  And today I saw a list of the 30th Most Disturbing Christmas Carols.

1) Jingle Bells

-Are you kidding me?  Who even sings that 2nd verse?

2) I'll Be Home For Christmas

-It was written by a WW2 soldier!  It's still relevant, since we still have military personnel overseas.

3) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause

-O.M.G. The singer is obviously watching his mom kissing his dad, and there's NO THOUGHT of 'OMG, Mommy's cheating on Daddy!'  Get a clue....

4) Back Door Santa

-Never heard of it.

5) You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch

-*eye roll* It was made to go with the movie. 

6) Do They Know It's Christmas

-This was made to raise awareness of the famine in Aftica, and regardless, it's a great tune and song!  Shut up already....

7) Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

-*eye roll*

8) Baby It's Cold Outside

-See previous comment at top

9) Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk On Christmas)

-Another one I've never heard.

10) The Christmas Shoes

-This one makes me cry....It's a sad song about a child's desire to buy his mother a gift for Christmas, since she's dying.

11)  Santa Clause Is Coming To Town

-Another eye roll.....

12) Don't Shoot Me Santa

-Yet again another one I've never heard.

13) White Christmas

-I'll admit, I prefer a green Christmas....but the 'logic' behind this is so skewed....geez/...

14) Santa Buddy/Santa Baby

-I'll admit, I've not heard Buble's version, and I can't stand Madonna's.  This is the song I like the LEAST this time of the year.....unless, of course, Vickers is singing it at karaoke....

15) Blue Christmas

-Leave Elvis alone....

16) Last Christmas

-It's catchy!  

17) It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

-The main complaint is 'scary ghost stories'?  Has the author never seen Christmas Carol?  That Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come is pretty scary....

18) Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

-Again, the main complaint is 'if the Fates allow..' Ummm.....there ARE people out there who believe in Fate....

19) Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

-Dude, where's your sense of humor?  I bet you don't like 12 Days of Christmas by Bob and Doug Makenzie either....This song was a staple on Dr. Demento!

20) This Christmas

-Okay; the 4th one I've not heard...

21) Happy X-mas (The War is Over)

-5th one I've not heard....

22) Frosty The Snowman

-Frosty committed suicide?  Give me a break....

23) Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa

-6th one not heard....

24) Father Christmas

-7th one not heard....

25) Santa Claus is Watching You

-8th one not heard....

26) Up On The Housetop

-Some kids would be thrilled to find a hammer and tacks (or nails!) and a whip that cracks.....yeah, probably not today, but maybe in 40s???

27) We Three Kings

-Let's face it; the only time we actually sing this verse is at the organist's discretion!

28) Bells Will Be Ringing

-Oh geez.....

29) I Have A Little Dreidel

-At least they included a Hannukah Song!  What about Adam Sandler's?

30) It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

-Yes, it mentions gender-specific toys.  Geez....

No comments:

Post a Comment