Tuesday, February 6, 2018

No Words....

I'm a fairly tolerant person.  If I don't agree with a post on social media, I skip over it and go on.  Occasionally, you'll find me ranting over here about it, esp if there are multiple posts about the same subject, and I can't keep quiet.

But the other day, I nearly unfriended someone.  Here's what she had to say:

"Anyone else find this statement by Martin Luther King Jr.'s nephew, given while standing next to Trump, troubling as hell?:
"We refer to it as a day on, not a day off," Farris said. "It's not a day to hang out at the park and pull out the barbeque grill, it's a day to help someone else. That's the proper way to remember my uncle and the proper way to celebrate the holiday."
I am floored that such a prejudicial statement came from the Black nephew of Martin Luther King Jr., of all people.
And who the hell barbeques on MLK Day anyway??? It's January."


Someone commented (and I happen to agree with this!):
 I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I take it to mean, look folks, this isn't a day off to play, it's a day off for service. A lot of people I know see it as a play day, a rest day. Side note, I have not gotten this off from work for the last ten years of employment.

Her response:
"Hanging out at the park with barbeque grills" almost always refers to a thing Black people do. What's extra problematic is that NO ONE EVER barbeques on this holiday. Therefore, he is literally using this statement to put down Black people and claim they are partying instead of working towards a cause....and he did it while standing next to Trump.

The 1st person then responded:
Ah. That makes sense

???????  I still don't get it.  'BBQ-ing in the park is a 'Black' thing?'  What about when white people go to the park?  Tailgate?  BBQ in their back yards?  As for 'nobody BBQ;s in January has obviously forgotten the 60 degree temps we had this time last year (this person lives an hour south of me).  WE BBQ'd every chance we got!  Mainly because this meant my spouse cooked, and clean up was soooo much easier when he used our grill!  So where does she get off, claiming it's a 'race' thing??

Comment #2:
Is he from the south? I mean Florida sometimes has 60-70 degree temps in January. I think you might be reading too much into it. What I got out of it was more of a pay it forward/be a good neighbor type of a vibe.

Re:
If anybody actually throws a barbeque in the park on MLK DAY I encourage them to respond and let me know they don't find this troubling.

Re:
Well, I certainly won't be. I live in Ohio and we're a little cold in January to be doing much of anything outside.

Comment #3:
I’m with you

Again, I'm over here like...??????  What's the big frickin' deal????

Then today, this pops up:

"Blacks are tired of Whites constantly telling us that our beliefs about racism are inaccurate."

WTH?????

Then someone posted:
"As far as whites advising blacks about their views about racism being inaccurate, it's like telling women their views about freedom of choice and equality are inaccurate!"

Re:
"Yes! Immigrants, disabled, LGBT, and others, too. I only speak of what is most prominent in my own personal experience. Though I am bisexual, I "present" as straight. And my disability (Crohn's Disease) is an invisible one. But I am bombarded by what it is to be Black in America every single day."

Re:
"Exactly. It’s not only racism, but also prejudices and stereotypes of both. It’s very sad. I do love that there are more platforms for each out there (whether it be football players, musicians, actresses, rallies, etc.) The first step is to make everyone aware. We cannot fix the problem until everyone knows there is a problem."

OMG.....I'm gagging over here.  Guess I need to unfriend her; I don't know how much more I can take.

I know, I know....'ignore it'...but I want to know, HOW is she 'bombarded' with it every day?  That's the same as saying 'I'm a woman; I'm bombarded with the sexual harassment/inequality issue every day.  Ummmm....no, I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment