Accidentally sparked an immigration debate yesterday on FB. A friend posted the following on her page; I liked it, so I copy/pasted it to my wall in the NAME OF PATRIOTISM. It even states 'I'm not against immigration', but apparently three of my friends missed that part. One even unfriended me (and now his post is missing, but his private message is at the bottom). All names have been removed except mine.
Our fathers watched as their fathers died in WW II, and watched as their friends died in Vietnam. My friends have died in Afghanistan and Iraq. None of them died for the Mexican Flag, chinese flag, or any other flag. Everyone died for the U.S. flag. Just this week, in Texas , a student raised a Mexican flag on a school flag pole; another student took it down. Guess who was expelled... the kid who took it down. Kids in high school in California were sent home on Cinco de Mayo because they wore T-shirts with the American flag printed on them. Enough is enough. The message below needs to be viewed by every American; and every American needs to stand up for America. We've bent over to appease the America-haters long enough. I'm taking a stand. I'm standing up because the hundreds of thousands who died fighting in wars for this country, and for the U.S. flag can't stand up. If you agree, stand up with me. And shame on anyone who tries to make this a racist message. A Map Of My Country: Let me make this perfectly clear! THIS IS MY COUNTRY! And, because I make this statement DOES NOT mean I'm against immigration!!! YOU ARE WELCOME HERE, IN MY COUNTRY! Welcome -To come through legally: 1. Get a sponsor! 2. Get a place to lay your head! 3. Get a job! 4. Live By OUR Rules! 5. Pay YOUR Taxes! 6. Learn the LANGUAGE like immigrants have in the past!!! AND 7. Please don't demand that we hand over our lifetime savings of Social Security Funds to you. If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone, Then YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! When will AMERICANS STOP giving away THEIR RIGHTS??? We've gone so far the other way... bent over backwards not to offend anyone. But it seems no one cares about the AMERICAN CITIZEN that's being offended! WAKE UP AMERICA!!! United We Stand! Like · · 9 hours ago
- (JB) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_ColossusThe New Colossus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.org"The New Colossus" is a sonnet by Emma Lazarus (1849–1887), written in 1883 and...See More8 hours ago · Like ·
- (JB) looks like this started a lot of the problem:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1924Immigration Act of 1924 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.orgThe Immigration Act of 1924, or Johnson–Reed Act, including the National Origins...See More8 hours ago · Like ·
- (JB) another possible cause:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics_in_the_United_States#Immigration_restrictionsImmigration restrictions - Eugenics in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.orgThe Immigration Restriction League was the first American entity associated offi...See More8 hours ago · Like(JB) looks like i have quite a bit to learn about this subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_laws_concerning_immigration_and_naturalization_in_the_United_States
- History of laws concerning immigration and naturalization in the United States - Wikipedia, the freeen.wikipedia.orgThe first naturalization law in the United States was the Naturalization Act of ...See More8 hours ago · Like ·
- (SM) I am American and find this post very offensive. After having dealt personally with immigration I realize it is not actually as simple as that. Being a parent I know that i would go to any means necessary to work and support my family. I can not condemn anyone for doing the same.8 hours ago · Like · 1 person
- (JR) When my great grandmother immigrated to this country she did it the legal way. That is what most Americans who support legislation in opposition to illegal immigration are asking for, do it legally. No, doing things the legal way may not be easy. No one said things would be easy. My great-great grandfather had to send some of his children back home and bring them over later because he refused to pay the doctor a bribe to pass one of the children on their health exam. He had to wait five years to send for them. It was hard, painful but was done the legal way. As a parent I find one of the most important lessons I can teach my son is integrity. What am I teaching him if I say when times are hard, we can ignore the rule of law and do what we want because it benefits us? This argument is not simple, it's not easy and won't be solved in a soundbite or a facebook post. And pasting someone as ignorant or racist because they disagree with you is the height of an ignorant response. This is not about race or ethnicity. It's about doing things the right way. If someone moved into your home without permission you wouldn't say, "Oh, that's okay." You'd call the police.We welcome those who enter legally.6 hours ago · Like
- (SR) I agree with this completely Molly and I'm proud of you for posting the thoughts I have tried to share with others. I know an illegal Mexican who bragged about being paid $2 an hour more for the same job my boyfriend did and not paying taxes to boot because he helps bring other illegals here to work. He has been here many years but refuses to become legal because he committed murder in Mexico and is hiding out here with our assistance. On top of that, he tried to seduce me away from my guy right in front of him. Clearly there is something wrong with his thinking and those who allowed him to think his behavior was acceptable.5 hours ago · Like
- (SR) I did warn Brad that he was dangerous and he found out the hard way when he borrow money from him once and Jessie showed up the following payday with a gang of illegals threatening to beat him up if he did pay him back. Then had the balls to ask me if I wanted to go down the hallway to Brad's bedroom and give him a f'ing blowjob. Thank God Brad threw him out before I called the cops. I suspect he only chose to leave after seeing me open my cell phone and start dialing 911. Some people don't deserve a chance. His wife finally kicked him out because he was cheating on her but I'm sure his family is still enjoying the food stamps our tax dollars provided for them.5 hours ago · Like
- Molly Daniels I'd have still called the police. Jeez, the drama you get caught up in...;)5 hours ago · Like
- (SR) Drama does seem to like following me, but it's not what I want in my life. Do I seriously have to write that story about our next revolution to make my point? Anyone who wants to come to this country legally is welcome even though it is no easy chore to become an American citizen. If they choose to stay illegal then don't expect to receive those benefits our tax dollars pay for unless they are also paying into the system that welcomes them. Clearly we have a use for them or they wouldn't be here, but that doesn't make them "entitled" to a free ride at our expense.5 hours ago · Unlike · 1 person
- (SR) I agree with Jacqueline. The real problem here goes back to decisions our elected government officials want to impose on us so that they can get more votes to stay in office. They are the true looters of this country. I believe most Mexicans here are probably hard workers looking for that "American dream" and most of the jobs they take the rest of us don't want to do, but once we start changing the laws or just ignoring them we send a message to that minority group of illegals who think the law enforcers have their back and they can do anything or take anything they want. When a small community like Oaktown has to live in fear of going out after dark in their own hometown or leaving their teenage daughters home alone only to have a gang of thugs break in rape their daughter, beat her, then leave her body in a field for dead there is a problem with the system that tolerates such behavior. And when you hear the rest of that sad but true story that the news won't share with you and realize that the farmer who employed those thugs sent them somewhere else to work to protect them from prosecution you have to wonder what is wrong with the citizens we call neighbors that put their own at risk to protect their cheap laborers. These are indeed very sad and frightening times.(via private message):"If you are are going to post things on a public forum you have to understand that noteveryone will agree. I'm suggesting you research this matter more. This same level ofnarrow minded self righteousness and fascism led to one race thinking they were pureand killing many innocent people. That was a big part of World War 2 that you evenmentioned.
The days of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" are over
- when we become adults and have to face cold hard truths. What you posted was
- equally offensive to several people, even people you know, but you didn't think about
- that. It seems like you were more focused on pushing an agenda of intolerance.
Friends should be able to be honest. If you don't want an honest response to
- something you post, don't be friends with educated people who research topics and
- speak their mind.
- If you can't stand up for what you believe in you to have a stronger convictions. Their are two sides to every debate. Usually one is right and one is wrong.Nobody ever convinced someone they were right by not sticking up for what they believe in.