Saturday, October 3, 2026

Shaking My Head.....

Saw a post on social media about how little a particular author made in royalties, and while I mentally rolled my eyes (why do you torture yourself that way by checking your author stats every day???), it was the ensuing conversation that sparked this post.

Someone commented they have several author friends who have already quit writing, due to AI crap taking over, and that 'self-publishing is too expensive'.

*needle scratch*

Excuse me???

I write the book. $0

I purchase cover art. $250

I pay an editor.  $150

I upload to Zon or D2D.  $0

Total:  $400.

If you think $400 is too much, then you're either paying your editor too much  or have a cover artist or editor who doesn't accept payments.

Admittedly, I went out and got a part-time job seven years ago when my hubby refused to pay for any more book-related items, and I've managed to budget everything.

But also, here's where things get pricey.

The author I referenced 1st spends a lot of $$ on special promotions.  I don't.  I concentrate a lot on in-person events.  So yeah, I pay a lot to do this, ranging from $50 all the way to $250 for an event. The most expensive one is my Christmas Show, which costs me $700, which I break down into $30 and $40 payments throughout the year. I've been doing this show now for over 10 years, and have people who return every year and ask me 'what's new this year?'  So yeah, loyal customers plus new ones. 

Do I make a profit?  Not even close.  In fact, if I didn't have to pay for gas, food, or lodging, I'd probably get a lot closer to breaking even. But I enjoy it and it gets me out of town, away from hearing a grumpy spouse demand attention or my adult kids and small grandkids wanting me.

Yes, I know that sounds a bit selfish, but two of them live with me 24/7.

My dear, self-publishing doesn't cost much. But self-PROMOTION does!  And I've only covered table fees. There's also swag, signage, marketing tools.

I think I paid $150 for my table runner.

$50-100 for business cards every year.

I think I spent maybe $200 on Temu this year for notebooks, pens, sticky notes, book bags, and keychains.  

Had to cancel all but one of my spring shows, due to transportation issues that weren't fixed until JUNE!  Which meant I had to rent a car twice in order to make it to Indy Comic Con (I was a panelist, and only spent $200 on food and souvenirs, plus $75 for a one day scooter rental and $120 on parking) and one other trip to take my mother to the dentist.

But the takeaway is this:  While I'd like to make a profit every year, on every event, I'm happiest when I'm out talking to people who love to read.  Coming home with funds in my money bag is always good. There have been a handful of events where either the crowd's not there, or I'm not more reader's choice of genre and I end up thinking 'why did I choose to come here?'  Thankfully, those events are far and few between.

In a way, being an author is much like a gambler:  You take a chance on events or promotions and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But remember WHY you choose to do this in the first place:

Make money?

Get the stories out of your head?

Be on the NYT/USA Today Best-Seller list?

Childhood ambition?

Keeping up with your author friends?

For me, it's because if I didn't write, my head would explode. The fact I proved I could do it was just icing on the cake, and the fact that people LIKE what I write is the cherry on top.  If I get any royalties in my account or come home with extra to deposit in my account to order inventory or even simply get to the next event, that's extra toppings.

But don't say Self-Publishing is too expensive, because it's not.

It's what you choose to spend your money on AFTER that's expensive.

Because, let's face it....you can't just put your book up and expect readers to find you. You have to make an EFFORT to be noticed.

Trust me; I've been slogging away for 23 years.  Do I wish I'd written something that 'caught' right away and started making triple digits every year?  Sure! But I didn't, and that's still okay. I'm doing what I love, and as long as it never becomes a 'have-to', or get burned out, I'm happy.

On that note, the author I originally referenced has hit that magical 200 count, while I've only reached 46. But she feels tied to her computer, even though she said she'd slow down after Book 200. I've not really seen any sign of that, since she just released 217.  I guess 17 books in a year is 'slowing down'....I slowed down to 2 per year.  But that's me.....and I'm not tied to my computer as I was from 2011-2013, when I released 11 books from July 2011-August 2013.  It also put 50 pounds on me that's I'm still struggling to get off.

So yeah, posts like what I saw today push my buttons!

No comments:

Post a Comment