Saturday, April 10, 2021

Listen To The Red Flags

 I'm about to embark into the world of Children's Books, but first I need an artist.  I talked about my new venture with friends, who advised it would take over a year from start to publication.  After our discussion, the holidays and family matters pushed most of their suggestions out of my memory, so not much has been done in the five months since.

While scrolling through my FB feed last week, I discovered I'd joined a Children's Author group some time ago, so went scrolling through the posts and discovered it was perfectly fine to post a 'Looking for' question.  I did so.

Overnight, I got about a dozen or so links in the comments.  I started checking out the art.  Some weren't my taste; it looked too anime.  Some posted only families or cats or other creatures....I needed dogs.  

I did happen upon three I liked, and actually reached out to one when I saw a familiar logo on their site.  Okay; I've got one possibility.

A second link took me to a blog where the artist listed tips for finding a professional illustrator, which I was very happy to learn I was inadvertently following, but then I clicked over to her prices and my eyeballs nearly bugged out.  $12K starting price? Who the hell has that kind of money to drop, especially if you're an indie publisher aka 'starving artist'?  Okay, she's out.  But thank you very much for the advice, and your artwork is BEAUTIFUL!  I just can't afford you.

Ping...I've got a PM.  I can do it...check out my site.

I checked.  Beautiful art.

Ping.....Did you check out my site?  What is your book about?

Thinking he's being a little pushy (Red Flag #1), I politely replied with a one-sentence synopsis about the subject matter.

Ping....ping....ping....Suddenly he starts sending me samples of his work, and mentions his company is offering a limited time 'lock down' price on publishing.  I take a look.....and it's a sweet deal.  So even though there's no idea of when the price goes back up (Red Flag #2), I nevertheless sign up for it.  

Then he asked for a style reference.....then says he'll do a sample for $50, which is not surprising, since I read it in #2's blog.  I agree and send him the funds, along with specific requirements, such as facial expression, background, and other characters.

He sends me two beautiful pictures, then asks me to check out the pricing list, and drops the bomb he's charging $50/illustration.  So total cost would be $1185....BUT that includes illustrations, cover art, formatting, AND uploading it to KDP and Amazon.  Okay.....$1200 is slightly steep, but remember I've got 14 months before the project is expected to release.  I ask about a payment plan.

He states he wants 50% 'during the contract signing' and the rest 'during final delivery' (Red Flag #3).  I've stated clearly I can pay him $100/mo.  I decide to sleep on it.

Three days go by.

Ping....(Easter, I might add.  Red Flag #4) Have you an update?

I mention again I can only pay $100/mo, plus more, if my summer conventions bring in big sales.

Ping....you mean royalties?

No, I mean hand-sales of my books, you idiot....I only average $1-5 in royalties.

Ping.....Okay, we need to put this in the contract also...what percentage of your sales you'll send me.

*Blink* Excuuuuse me?  

I normally charge 35% of all books sold. (Red Flag #5)

Ummmm.....that's not how it works.  If I'm paying you $1200 to upload my book, then it's on YOUR account, and you'll receive any royalty sales money.  I only expect you to provide me with print books and sell them to me for $4-6 per copy.

Ping.....No, you share your KDP log in information. (Red Flag #6)

Oh hell NO!  No one gets access to my personal log in info.  I go to bed.

Three more days go by.  I've discussed my red flags with other author friends, who agree with me; this guy has a delusional and shady business practice.

I bite the bullet and send it to a publisher friend of mine who actually does Children's books.

Ping....Are you free to discuss our arrangement?

I tell him I've thought it over and sent my MS to a publisher, but if it's rejected, I'll be happy to return to the negotiations.

I just received another job and am not sure I would be able to schedule you in.

That's fine, dude....I was playing nice.  There's no way in hell I will ever work with you.  But I'm a nice person who won't say that to your face.  If you find someone else to snow, be my guest.  But believe me, anyone I come across who's looking for an illustrator, I will speak your name and warn them NEVER to work with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment