Friday, March 11, 2011

Yada Yada-ing Sex

I was relieved the other day when I attended a chat. For once, the family left me alone, and I could chat in peace with a couple of my friends and potential readers.

And then the owner of the chat loop threw out the question: 'How do you keep sex scenes fresh'?

I thought I was about to take some heat for my answer: I was moving away from the 'in-your-face' scenarios and more into the sensual, 'more-left-to-the-imagination' sort. And thankfully, no one yelled at me.

Am I getting tired of Erotica? I like stories with strong plots. I recently read a book by one of my friends, and the premise had appealed to me ever since I found out about it. But halfway into it, I realized I was skipping over the sex scenes. Oh, I eagerly devoured the first two, don't get me wrong. After all, one girl with four guys? YUM! But as I said, I read the build up to the sex scenes, skipped the actual action, and picked it up after the clean-up. I wanted more of what went on outside the bedroom.

In fact, I did this with one of my own stories. When I initially wrote it, I showed everything that went on once my H/h were alone. But when I reread it last year, I decided to cut out several of the scenes, or at least modify them. Surely sex for the sake of sex wasn't needed; after all, when two people in love tuck the kids in at night, there's bound to be some sort of sexual activity, right? But why have a long, drawn out sex scene when you already know what's going to happen? Now I will hint at it, if they choose to enjoy themselves in front of the fire, instead of moving into the bedroom, or even start in one room, only to move into the other.

I seem to do this at least once a year; tire of reading the sex scenes. Give me plot!

Anyone else agree with me? Or am I just strange?

1 comment:

  1. Plot can make or break a story! Sex can only bring you so far but a good plot can last forever in a reader's mind!

    ReplyDelete