Saturday, September 12, 2026

No Whining Zone

 An author I've been friends with for nearly 10 years now is mildly driving me crazy.  Why?  Her social media posts.

Normally, I can scroll by with just an eye roll.  Sometimes I come here to vent. This is one of them.

This particular author's main gripe for the past year is low book sales. First she'd have great success, then rage about how half of them were returned. 

(Sidebar:  I whole-heartedly believe people who return E-BOOKS should be put in their own circle of hell; it's unethical! Don't treat us like a library; join KU to do that, or actually go to one of the library sites!)

I've managed to scroll on by when this author gripes about the heat (for the record, migraines seem to be their whole summer, so I sympathize!), or even when they go ahead and put out Halloween decorations in SEPTEMBER, or admit they decorate for Christmas as soon as Halloween is over (I at least wait until October for spooky season and after Thanksgiving before anything Christmas shows up in my house!).

They went to WDW in August for a four day weekend, and-I get it; they go once a year and last year was sick during the trip-but why oh why did they have to gripe about prices/crowds/heat?  You're at the happiest place on Earth!  It's a vacation; get out and enjoy yourselves!!!

For the record, I've not been there since 2004 and would LOVE to go spend another week there!  Even a whirlwind trip, if it were comped! But I digress,

Their latest post just had me gritting my teeth in frustration.  Why?  Again, low book sales.  "I may have to stop writing..."  "I'm sad about the future..."  Sheesh.....have a little FAITH, will you?

And yes, I admit....when my hubby decided he'd had enough of funding my book ventures after the whole KU-killed-the-small-press kerfuffle, I went out and got a job to see if I was capable of funding it myself.  And guess what?  I was.  Granted, I only work 25-30 hours a week, and in a place where I can write during the down times, but I've done it.  Since 2019, I've managed to write 11 books and 8 short stories.  So yeah, you'll have to stop the book-of-the-month club (or even two per month....seriously, I thought you were going to slow down a little after hitting a record high number of books???) and maybe stop buying makeup every week/month and outfits you're only going to wear once (seriously, who needs that many clothes?  I've got stuff I still wear since college!)

The point is, have a little FAITH and cut out the extra. There's only two of you; I have a household of SIX! And we're living off a pension, Social Security, and my twice a month paychecks.  You don't see me griping on social media about only getting cents on the dollar, or even the amazing $3 Zon paid me last month! (okay, I guess I just did, ha ha!)

But for god's sake, don't panic. IMHO, if you're that worried about money, don't post your expensive makeup; the clothing you've bought; your plans to return to WDW.  Let your hubby take me instead; I guarantee I'll have a great time in the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment